Sunday, May 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Grandma

Today is my Grandma's 80th birthday. We spent the weekend in Lubbock to celebrate her birthday with her. James and I really enjoyed our time with Grandma.

Grandma has been like a second mom to me. Grandma picked me up from school almost everyday, unless she was out of town. When I was still in daycare, she would pick me up early on Fridays and take me to McDonald's for lunch. I stayed with her every summer until I was old enough to stay by myself. During the summer she would take me to the pool every afternoon after "Days of Our Lives" was over and then pick me up 2 hours later. She was my chauffeur until I could drive myself.

She fixed dinner for my entire family every night until a few years ago. I ate dinner at her house almost every night of my life until I married James and moved to Corpus. After James graduated from Law School Grandma told him she expected him to be at dinner every night while he was studying for the bar. She has always taken care of everyone!

I hardly ever got in trouble with Grandma, because I was nearly perfect growing up, but when I did she thumped me on my head with a thimble. I got in trouble at school for talking often. In first grade I was sent to the hall for talking. Of course Grandma walked into the school and found me sitting in the hall. She wasn't very happy with me. I had forgotten my library book at her house and she knew it was library day so she brought it to me. I got in trouble that day.

Grandma went to so many basketball games, volleyball games and choir concerts. My senior year of high school I decided her poached eggs were my good luck charm for a good game. Grandma of course made me eggs before every game that year. She made me tons of clothes growing up. Some I didn't like and there are some I wish I could still fit in. She made the bridesmaid dresses for our wedding. She made the quilt we sleep under every night and many more.

The woman is truly a blessing to our family. We are an extremely close family because of her. I am so lucky to have her as a grandmother. I will never be able to remember and thank her for all the things she has done for me in my life. She has played a part in the girl that I have become ( I said girl because I still feel young.)

Happy 80th Birthday to the best Grandma in the entire world.

4 comments:

Abby said...

Happy Birthday to your grandma, after reading that post I LOVE her even more than I did!!

Amanda McNeely said...

What a great post! I think I might even love Grandma!! Glad you had a good weekend!

Jacqui said...

That is so sweet! What a blessing to have such a close family :)

Kara said...

Happy Birthday to your Grandma! It is so great to have such a special grandma... I had a similar one so I know!