Thursday, February 11, 2010

Grandma's Soup

I miss Grandma's meals. She was a really good cook. I would give anything for some Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy. YUM!!! Unfortunately, I will never get it. If you asked her she would probably tell you she has never cooked.

Growing up we had soup a lot in the winter. It was basically a bunch of leftovers made into soup. I didn't really like it when I was little mostly because it was leftovers. I thought leftovers were boring. Now I think leftovers are the greatest. James doesn't really like the leftovers. If I offer up leftovers for dinner he says no thanks and makes himself some sandwiches. It works out.

I have been craving some of Grandma's leftover soup for awhile now, but had no idea how to make it. Ann took the plunge a couple of months ago and figured out the recipe. She said it tasted just like Grandma's.

I was so excited! I tried a few days later to make Grandma's soup. It starts with roast, potatoes and carrots. Ann made Pioneer Woman's roast and said it was delicious. I decided to nix my normal roast recipe and try PW's as well. Mine did not turn our well. It was actually horrible. I think I got a bad piece of meet because I followed the recipe and my meet was tough as nails. Needless to say I didn't have the opportunity to make Grandma's soup.

Monday I went back to my trusty roast recipe and we had delicious roast with potatoes and carrots for dinner. Tonight I attempted to make Grandma's soup.

It was perfect!!! It tasted just like Grandma's. It brought back so many memories and I ended up crying through part of dinner. I am so happy Ann figured out the recipe. I will be making the soup more often and thinking about Grandma.

Here is the recipe if you are interested.

Leftover roast, potatoes and carrots cut up
Can of corn drained
Can of beef broth
2 cans of diced tomatoes

Heat on medium heat for about 30 minutes.

That's all I put in mine. Grandma would add green beans, celery and beans. She would put anything in the soup that she wanted to clean out of the refrigerator. The soup was never the same from time to time.

James must have liked this version -- he had three bowls.

2 comments:

Abby said...

sounds yummy. I wish that I had left over roast so I could try it today!! I know what you mean about missing your grandma's cooking. My grandma was the best cook. Everytime I cook her food I want to cry!!

Alyssa said...

Your grandmother is such a special lady.. and I bet her soup was wonderful- just like everything else she made! Thanks for sharing your heart and your recipe :)