Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mud Room

***UPDATED - I took down the pictures and just added links. I don't know what is up with blogger. I can see the pictures, why can't you? So frustrating!

My new favorite thing about brand new houses is mud rooms. I want a mud room so bad, but I don't think it is a good idea to try to sell our house and buy a new house all for a mud room. I want a mud room like this.

I love mud rooms basically for all the great storage. I would love somewhere to hang coats for a short period of time. Neither James nor I are very good at hanging up our jacket at night. Mostly because we are going to need it in the morning. I am so tired of jackets hanging on the back of bar stools. That is the biggest problem right now. I would also just like some general storage. I don't have anything in mind that I need to store, but I am sure I will find something.

Instead of buying a new house I am trying to turn our laundry room into a mud room/laundry room. I am not sure how that is going to work out since our laundry room isn't that big to start with. I do have a little room to add some type storage unit. I have been looking for a couple of months, but just can't decide.

I had almost decided on THIS storage unit, but then I had an "I'm not sure moment." This piece fits, but I am afraid it is going to make the laundry room feel closed in. I think it might be too much for a small space.

Now I am thinking about using THIS bench and just adding THIS row of hooks. I like that the bench has some storage and I love all the hooks. Perfect for all the jackets and the bar chairs can go back to bar chairs instead of coat racks. I think this will solve my problem, but not make it feel so closed in.

I think I will go with a white bench to help with it not feel so crowded. All the base boards and doors are white as well as my washer and dryer. I am also thinking about painting the laundry room RED! I want a red room so bad. I figured I spend a lot of time in the laundry room why not make it red so I can enjoy it.

Here is where you come in. I need help with some of these decisions. What do you think about all of this? Should I forget about this storage unit and find another one? Should I paint the laundry room red? Please help me.

3 comments:

courtney said...

i love mud rooms, too!! and, i HATE coat season--it drives me crazy having jackets and coats crowd our laundry room.

good luck with your laundry room makeover. i couldn't view the pics you posted but i bet what you have in mind is fabulous!

Abby said...

We love our mud room. It is probably on of my favorite things about our house. I just love it!! I will send you a picture of it. Your links didn't show up so I'm not sure what your looking for but ours is just a bench (with drawers underneath) and hooks. We have six stations (on for each of us, the dog and an extra in case we have another child!) It is so great for coats back packs and the kids shoes. I think E has six hundred pairs of shoes in her drawer! It has helped us go to our shoeless house, the shoes come straight off at th door and then into the drawer!!

We have a red dining room and a red bathroom. We love it. I think you should paint your laundry room red. Make sure you use a tinted primer (ours was tinted blue) it would save you a ton of time!!

Jacqui said...

I love the bench and hooks. I thing it would look cute and serve it's purpose without crowding a smaller room.

I hope it turns out great!