Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Rest of the Story

It all started back in October. I was feeling a little empty inside and started wondering what I could do to fill up my heart a little. I had been praying that God would lead me to my next adventure. Boy did he. I felt the need to volunteer at our church. One Sunday after church I talked to our pastor and mentioned I would like to give some of my time to the church. My thought was to answer the phone or do some office work. Not exactly what God had in mind. The pastor told me the church was opening a coffee shop off campus and they could really use some help with getting it open and running. I said sure.

Cindy, Michael and I have been working on this project since October. It has been interesting to say the least. We have had many road blocks along the way. The church is renting an old art gallery for the coffee shop. We have remodeled, painted, ordered equipment and many other things. Half of it I don't even remember. We call this coffee shop The Foundry. Somewhere in this process it came up that the coffee shop would need me in the early mornings. I have tried to forget that day. The Foundry is open Monday - Friday and so Cindy, Michael and I split up the days. Cindy and I have 2 days and Michael has 1 day a week. My chosen days: Monday and Thursday.

So, those are my days that I am responsible for The Foundry. The doors open at 7am, but in order to prepare all the wonderful things we serve I must get there about 6am. Let me just say I was not aware that 6:00 came twice in a day. In order to get there by 6am I must get up at 4:30am in order to have time to get ready and make the 30 minute commute. I think God might have forgot who he was working with when it came to early mornings.

My body was in shock last Monday. I am still not sure it understands what has happened. I have the hardest time going to bed early in order to get up early. I end up watching Sports Center way to late and the next thing I know is it is time to get up. Hopefully my body and mind will adjust soon. Until then I am sure there will be plenty of complaining.

So far everything at The Foundry has gone pretty smooth. Opening day last week was amazing and we had a pretty good crowd. Hopefully the crowd will only grow. Of course with everything going on I forgot my camera. To be honest, I didn't even think about bringing it to take pictures. Thank goodness someone else did. Jenny from the Loft took pictures. Jenny runs the coffee shop that we modeled ours after which is near our house. We visit the Loft every Saturday morning for the Waffle Bar. You can see the pictures on her blog: www.jennyrudd.blogspot.com

I am sure you will hear plenty more about all this. I have a feeling the stories don't end here.

5 comments:

Tish said...

Can't wait to hear more stories. There is surely a potential treasure trove here. I want to come visit for a cuppa. Tish

Anonymous said...

Robin, I have to get those pics to you! I'm loving your blog. Pleeease keep it up...I can tell its going to be a favorite. Youre a great writer too!

I sooooo remember the day I realized I would be waking up at the crack of dawn! Trust me, your body will adjust. I think for the better. And I do think God knew exactly what He was doing when he chose you!

Caroline said...

I thought you were going to announce that you were pregnant. But, a coffee shop is good too. I'm very proud of you! Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Robin, I am so proud of you. I know it was a lot of hard work geting the coffee shop up and running. Keep up the good work.

Becky

Abby said...

I'm so glad I found this post, I had been trying to figure out exactly how the Foundry came into your life!! That's what I get for not going back to the begining of the blog to check it out! When we are in town for the marathon we will have to try and stop by!! So fun! (This is probably a dumb quesiton but is it in the Foundry area..near PF Changs?)