Wednesday, January 13, 2010

CNN

When I was 8 years-old my entire family went to Boston. When I say my entire family I mean Grandpa, Grandma, Uncle Darrel, Aunt Anita, Ann, Mom, Dad, Doneece and myself. This is the only vacation I remember where all of us went together. I remember going on many trips with all these people but only once with all of us.


My grandpa was receiving an award in Boston so we made it a family trip. Ann must have been about 14 and Doneece was 2 and a pain. Our family drug Ann and I all over Boston. We walked the entire town of Boston. I mean like 489 miles, but Doneece always got to go back to the hotel with Grandma. We would beg to go back to the hotel, but it never happened. Doneece was lucky and Ann and I were not so lucky. Doneece has always been the favorite.

I think we saw every possible tourist destination in Boston. We went on the Freedom Trail, saw Plymouth Rock, went to Cape Cod, went to the Boston Pops, the state capital and much more. When we were coming down the steps of the State Capital there was a T.V. crew filming. We went on about our business and really didn't think much about it.

Once we got back to Lubbock Aunt Anita was watching her favorite channel, CNN. While watching she noticed all of her family walking down the steps. I don't remember what the piece was about, but there we were walking down the steps of the state capital in Boston. Of course my family recorded it and watched it over and over.

Everyone else looked normal walking down the steps, but not me. Did I mention we walked all over the town? I know I forgot to mention it was really hot walking all over town. I was really hot and tired from walking all around Boston. While walking down the steps I pulled up the bottom of my shirt to wipe off the sweat on my forehead. Of course CNN caught me with my shirt up wiping the sweat.

I have a good explanation, besides the fact that it was hot and we had walked all over Boston. During this time in my life I had a horrible hair cut. You may remember it. If not let me remind you.

I didn't have in the gold clip on this day. The gold clip was only for special occasions in order to torment me. While walking down the steps I noticed the T.V. crew. I was so embarrassed my hair that I decided I must lift my shirt to cover my face. I didn't want to be seen on T.V. with that hair cut.

Actually, that is a lie, but it sounded good. I was 8 and had no idea what was going on. I pulled up my shirt because I was HOT and TIRED. The problem is that CNN got 2 really embarrassing things on T.V. That hair do and me with my shirt up. I have been teased about my CNN appearance since I was 8. I am sure Ann will never let me forget. She will be 92 and I will be 86 and we will be sitting in the nursing home together and she will say, "remember when you were on CNN when you were 8 with your shirt pulled up so you could wipe the sweat off your forehead."

My family has a tape of this somewhere. Ann thinks Grandma has it, but Mom thinks she has it. Who knows where it is. I am hoping no one can ever find the tape and I can deny that it ever happened. I am probably not that lucky.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Thanks for posting the great pictures of me again. I love it!! :)

Also, I was the one that discovered you on CNN. Not my Mom. I saw it on Headline News and then we watched it repeat every 30 minutes. That is how we were able to record it.

Abby said...

I love it!! I expect the clip to be posted to the blog once it is found!!

Amanda said...

hilarious!! Don't hate on your hair....you were rockin' that one!