Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Late Breaking News

It really isn't late breaking news, but it sounded good. I am so excited about my news, but the rest of you may not be so excited. I actually think you maybe a little disappointed. I can't help that.

Last week after much thought and even more prayer, I decided to give my resignation at the coffee shop. I had been thinking about it since November, but I wanted to take sometime and really think about it.

In November a few things happened that made me question my being there. It all of the sudden didn't feel the same. I became where I dreaded going in. Once I was there it was fine, but the thought of going to work made me sick and worried. I went through most of December feeling this way, but I didn't want to make a decision about the coffee shop during the holidays. I had 2 weeks off and I really wanted to enjoy the time with my family and not think about work.

I did just that. I hardly thought about it at all until it was time to go back. January came and I still hadn't made a decision.

Jaime and I spent many hours talking about the coffee shop and what the "right" decision was for me. I know he got tired of talking about it, but he continued to talk about it as much as I wanted in order to help me out. After all our talks, I still didn't feel at ease with the situation. I would decide to quit and wouldn't feel good. I would decide to stay and still not feel good. Nothing felt right.

When I decided to volunteer at the church I had no idea I would end up running a coffee shop. It really was the last thing from my mind. I volunteered my time thinking that I would answer the phones a couple times a week. That is not what God had planned. From the very beginning I was sent to The Foundry.

I prayed a lot about what I should do. I would talk to God and weight out the options. It was really hard because I wasn't hearing from him. The coffee shop is a really big deal to me. It wasn't just a place I worked. It was my baby. I had worked so hard with so many other people to get the doors open. I didn't feel like I could just walk away.

I felt like I owed it to God and The Foundry to take my time in making a decision. I didn't want to let either down.

While I was sick it gave me a lot of time to think about it. All of a sudden it came to me that it was my time to leave. I was totally at piece with the decision. I talked to Jaime about it and he agreed that it was time to leave The Foundry. Once I decided I never looked back.

Last week was my last week as manager. All last week I felt like it was the end of school right before summer break. I was so excited all week. There was still a part of me that didn't want to leave The Foundry completely. I decided I will volunteer 2 days a week for a few hours from now on. I am really happy with this decision. I can keep some of my job duties, but it also gives me a break.

This had been weighting on me a lot and I finally feel at peace again. Thank you Lord for taking your time and guiding me in the right direction.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Yay for you. I'm glad you won't be dreading work everyday.

Abby said...

I am so happy for you. Your back and forth feelings are exactly how I felt when I quit practising law.

I can't wait to see what new doors God opens for you!!

Jacqui said...

Way to go! Waiting on God isn't always easy. I am so glad you have peace about quitting :)