Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Welcome to Chicago

I know I said I would be back yesterday with a more in depth update on Valentine's Day.  I was wrong.  My day really didn't go as I planned. 

We had an early flight so that meant we were up really early.  I have to admit I look forward to the day I get to sleep late on a Monday morning.  It was part of the reason I quit my job.  I don't want you to think I am complaining.  I am extremely lucky to be in Chicago instead of sitting at home by myself.  My sweet Jaime had a little trouble setting the alarm.  He set it for 5am instead of 6am.  I hate waking up an hour before the alarm goes off.  It makes me so sad to realize I only have 1 more hour to sleep.

When the alarm went off at 5am I realized I had a migraine.  That is a wonderful way to start off the morning.  I took some medicine, but it was too late in the game.  We got up at 6am and proceeded forward.  The flights were not horrible, but not great.  Traveling with a migraine is not much fun, really nothing is fun when you have a migraine.

We made it to Chicago and I was so excited, until one of our bags did not make it with us.  We realized we were not in Texas quickly.  No one was really rude, but no one was really nice.  There was no apology for the bag being lost.  Instead, you would have thought we should be thanking them.

There were some very important things in the bag.  Jaime had a some work documents in the bag that he needed by 4pm.  I had most of my warm clothes, a purse and my old lap top.  Out of everything I was most worried about the purse.  I am a little obsessed with my purses.  I had recently backed up my computer so no big deal as far a information on the computer.  The clothes would give me a good excuse to buy some new clothes.

After an hour at the airport waiting for luggage and making a baggage report, we headed to the hotel.  By the time we arrived at the hotel it was 2pm.  By this point my migraine was out of control.  We went across the street from our hotel to get something to eat.  After 20 minutes and 2 bites of my food, I couldn't handle it anymore.  I headed back to the hotel.

I ended up sleeping for 2 hours.  I felt much better after my nap.  I felt so good that I was ready to do a little shopping.  The one thing I love about shopping in Chicago at this time of year is that they actually have clothes that you could wear right now.  When you go shopping in Texas right now, everything is shorts and tank tops in spring colors.  Don't people realize it is still winter.  I know it may be a little warm in Texas, but not that warm.

After a little light shopping I meet up with Jaime for dinner.  We went to this wonderful steakhouse called Gibsons.  If you know us, you know we would rather sit in the bar at a restaurant and eat so that we can watch sports.  It was perfect!!  We sat at the bar, which is better for Jaime's long legs, and watched the UT vs A&M basketball game.  Great food and basketball, can't beat it.

I am thinking I may go to the top of the John Hancock building to the observatory.  It is suppose to be cold but pretty tomorrow.  I would love to see Chicago from a birds eye view.  I also may make it over to the aquarium.  The aquarium is running a "recession special," where you get in for free on Monday and Tuesday.  I may just take them up on their special.

Now it is time for the dessert we brought back to the hotel and bed.  Maybe tomorrow I will tell you about Valentine's Day 

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I might have to stop reading your blog. Jealousy is not healthy.

Jacqui said...

Ditto to Ann's comment...