Sunday, October 11, 2009

Please Pray

My family is in need of prayers. This is a long story so bear with me.

My cousin Daron married Heather and officially brought her into our family. But before they got married she was like family. Heather's mom and Aunt Anita taught school together. Heather's parents moved from Lubbock her senior year of high school, but Heather stayed as not to miss her senior year. She moved in with Aunt Anita and Uncle Darrel. She became like family.

I was seven and Heather basically became another cousin to me. She taught me to French braid hair. I can remember sitting in my grandparents living room and learning. She taught me on a Barbie and when I had it down on the Barbie I started braiding Heather's hair. I loved to practice on Heather and she would let me all the time. It never got old for me and she was a great sport about having her hair braided. I was so excited when Daron married Heather and officially made her part of our family.

Daron and Heather have 2 kids, Drew and Emily. I remember going to the hospital when they were both born. Now Drew is 17 and Emily 12. They are really great kids. Daron and Heather are now divorced and both have re-married. Both Daron and Heather married great people and they have a family that really works. They all work very hard to make the family work and they all love the kids very much.

Drew lives with his Dad and Christy in Dallas and Emily lives with Heather and Mike in Austin. Heather was admitted into the hospital last week. She has bronchitis. It has become very serious in the past few days. She was put into ICU on Thursday and has continually gotten worse. They ended up sedating her and moving her to a rotating bed in order to try and help loosen the junk in her lungs. I am not a doctor so forgive my non-medical terms.

Yesterday the family was called and told they needed to get to the hospital to say goodbye. She was not breathing well and her kidneys and liver were starting to shut down. Everyone said their goodbyes and played the waiting game. Jaime and I drove to Austin yesterday afternoon to be there for the kids. Things started looking up as the afternoon went on.

When we left the hospital at 7pm last night Heather's oxygen level was up a little. The nurses and doctors have been very up front with the family. They have told us this is a very serious situation. Heather is critical, but stable at this point but that could change very quickly.

Heather is in for a long hard battle, but has a lot of people pulling for her. At this point we need as many prayers as possible. Drew and Emily really need their mother. Please pray for Heather and her recovery.

Heather Slagle North

5 comments:

Jacqui said...

We'll pray for her and her family. Thanks for passing this on.

courtney said...

oh man, robin, i hate to hear that. we'll be praying for heather and your family. keep us updated.

Caroline said...

Great post- and picture. When did you take that? Keep me updated as you get information faster.

RebeccaZona said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I will keep you guys in my prayers!

Unknown said...

We will be praying and praying for her!!