Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Adventures in Basketball

One day a few months ago Conner asked Jaime if he would coach him in basketball. Jaime of course agreed and now it is basketball season. David and Jamie are both coaching Conner's kindergarten team. Jaime says it is like "herding cats."

They started practicing 2 weeks ago. They practice on Wednesday nights. The following day Conner feel at school and broke his arm. He broke it right above the elbow and ended up having surgery. He is doing well and will have the pin taken out in a few weeks. Now Jaime is coaching a bunch of 6 year olds he doesn't know.

They are called the Little Rhinos. Don't ask because I don't know. The rest of the teams are the Little Bears, Little Spurs, Little Lions and so forth. I have never heard the rhino used as a mascot, but what do I know. The Little Rhinos had their first game on Saturday at 8am. No one asked me about starting that early.

It was so cute. They play on a lowered rim and don't dribble too much. They don't even keep score, but you know we did. Our team won. All the little kids did a great job and have great potential the be drafted in the NBA in about 13 years.

Poor Conner sat on the bench the entire game. I felt so sorry for him. I think he felt pretty sorry for himself as well. He said it was boring. I agree, sitting on the bench is boring. Only a few more weeks and he will be back in action.It was a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing the kids get better. The only problem is all the games are Saturday morning at 8. I might have to call and talk to the league about that.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Ahh you bring back such memories of 4-5 year old soccer. At least we didn't have to play at 8 a.m. I would totally get that moved. No one wants to be up at that time, including the players.

Caroline said...

James is so sweet to do that! Maybe the early start time is preparing you for children. They get up early. I speak from experience.