Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tater Tot Casserole

I made Tater Tot Casserole again last night. It was just as good as the first time. I think this will be my new go to dish. It is super easy to make and the leftovers are great. Some of you asked for the recipe so here it is.

1 bag of Tater Tots
1 pound of Hamburger Meat
1 can of Ranch Style Beans
1 can of Spanish Rice
Shredded Cheese

Line baking dish with Tater Tots. Top with cooked hamburger meat. Next put a layer of shredded cheese. Drain can of Ranch Style Beans and mix with Spanish Rice. Layer mix of rice and beans on top of cheese. Top with cheese and then remaining Tater Tots.

I have messed with the recipe a little. Originally is said to bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, but mine was not even close to being warm after 30 minutes. Last night I baked it at 400 degrees and it took about 45 minutes. I think next time I will try and bake it at 450 degrees for 30 minutes. I guess you will have to find out what works best for you.

I was unable to find a can of Spanish Rice at my HEB, but I found Uncle Ben's Ready Serve Rice. It comes in a package and they have Spanish Rice. I used it and the recipe turned out fine. I also use about 2 cups worth of shredded cheddar cheese. For me, the more the cheese the better. FYI, I use an oval shaped Corningware dish. I have no idea what the dimensions are, but maybe it will help you out a little to know it is oval.

Good Luck with the recipe! Hope you enjoy it as much as Jaime and I. It has brought back a lot of good memories for the both of us.

3 comments:

courtney said...

That sounds YUMMY!! I'll definitely be making that as soon as we fall off of our Weight Watchers wagon! :)

Abby said...

I am so excited about it as well. I can't wait to try it. It will be a great addition to our attempt to "menu plan" for the week ahead.

Caroline said...

I'm going to make it sometime soon!