Friday, May 15, 2009

My Husband is a Legend

It is so true, my husband is a legend in his hometown.  Jaime grew up in Corpus Christi in the Annaville area.  It is crazy how many people know who he is and all that he has accomplished.

On Monday we were in Corpus for Jaime to speak at the Tuloso-Midway High School Basketball Banquet.  We walk in the door at the banquet and 4 boys come right up to talk to him.  It is so crazy!  It is like they can't get enough of him.

I understand why they can't get enough of him.  He is really cute, but I don't think that is what impresses them.  I think this list impresses them.

Basketball Achievements for Jaime #33

1991
District Champions
Newcomer of the Year for District, Metro and Area

1992
Pride of Texas Champions
1st Team All-District, Metro and Area

1993
Pride of Texas Champions
Pride of Texas MVP
District MVP
Area Play-Offs
1st Team All-Metro and Area
All-Region 1st Team
All-State 2nd Team
2nd leading scorer in school history
Selected to play in the Coaches Association All-Star game in Ft. Worth

1994-1995 
Played on scholarship at Lamar University (NCAA Division I)

1996-1997
Played on scholarship at Southern Nazarene University (NAIA)
1st Team Academic All Conference
Played in the NAIA National Tournament
4th best all time field goal percentage in a single season

This was only PART of the introduction given to introduce Jaime.  I knew he had accomplished a lot in his basketball career, but when it was being read it was longer than I thought.  I was even mentioned in the introduction and all I had to do was marry a super star.  

Jaime gave a wonderful speech!  He talked about opportunity and creating opportunity for yourself and not waiting for an opportunity to come along.  He did such a good job and I really think the kids got something out of it.  He did an amazing job impacting all the different people in the audience.  I know the kids took something away from it and I even took somethings away from it.  The man has a future in public speaking.


Now for all my supporting evidence about how big of a legend he really is.

About six months ago I was at a Spurs game by myself.  Jaime was out of town some where and I went to the game.  Leaving the game I saw two kids with TM basketball shirts on.  I asked them if they played basketball and they both did.  I told them that my husband had played at TM and I introduced myself.  After hearing my last name they asked me if Jaime was my husband.  Shocked that they knew who I was married to just by my last name, I said yes.  They were totally impressed that I was married to Jaime.  They went on to tell me that Coach still talks about Jaime, which I knew.  It was really funny.  I was walking out with our friends and they still talk about how crazy those kids acted once they found out who I was married to.  The kids had stars in their eyes.

After the banquet was over we stayed to catch up with Jaime's family and Coach.  While we were talking to some friends a girl came up super excited to be standing next to Jaime.  She asked for her picture with Jaime.  After she got her picture she excitedly announced the picture was going on her Facebook.  That was the funniest part of the evening.

Jaime and the President of his fan club.  I didn't even ask the girl her name.

Jaime and Jonathon.  Jaime coached Jonathon in summer basketball and he is now trying to play professional basketball.  He is a great kid.

Jaime with his parents.

Jaime with his grandparents.

Jaime with Coach Craig.  Coach Craig has been the head basketball coach at TM for 25 years.

There a few things that were not mentioned in Jaime's introduction.  I want to have it all written down so I remember, but I also figure I am tooting his horn so I might as well do all the tooting possible.  Jaime is the 2nd all time leading scorer in TM history with 1691 points.  He is also part of the 500 Club for scoring over 500 points in all three seasons he was on varsity.  Last but not least, Jaime is part of the All Time Team.  Jaime is one of the top 5 players in Tuloso-Midway history.  He is amazing and he is all mine!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Very cool. I didn't know you were married to a star. That is good to know!

Jacqui said...

I also had no idea your husband was a star. Very cool. It's very sweet that you're so proud of him!!!