Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Christmas Tree Nightmare

I know it is a little early to be putting up a Christmas tree, but I usually put it up the weekend after Thanksgiving and this year we will not be home.

Moving on. I decided I really needed a new tree this year. My old tree was about 5 years old and half the pre-lit lights no longer worked. When I found out Ann had done all the leg worked and shopped around for a new tree I was so excited. A new tree without the work. I went to Hobby Lobby back in September to purchase my new tree for 30% off. The deal kept getting better. Ann picked out the tree and it was 30% off.

After we got home Sunday from Oklahoma I was determined to get my tree up. When Jaime found out we were putting up the tree this was his face.

Not really. He was playing with the new camera last week and this is the picture he took. He will learn not to take pictures he doesn't want showing up on the blog.

Anyways, back to my story. Jaime got the massive box out and started putting the tree together. It was huge and there was lots of fluffing to be done. We worked for about 2 hours on the fluffing and then went to take a little nap. After the nap we did some more fluffing and then started in on the decorations.

About the time that I had half my decorations on the tree I noticed that some of the lights at the top of the tree were not on. No big deal I decided. I figured we had missed a strand of lights that needed to be plugged in. Jaime gave me the same face as above. He started searching for the missing plug because he is the tall one. He found it! It was plugged in. We tried changing the fuse and the light bulb. Nothing! Did I mention the tree was half decorated?

I started crying and I am not even lying! We had worked so hard all afternoon and by this time it was 7:30. It was basically a whole day wasted which was not good since we had basically wasted a trip to Oklahoma. I asked Jaime to take all the decorations off the tree and take it down and put it back in the box. I was too mad to even look at the tree.

I probably would have not cared because the lights that didn't work weren't that noticeable, especially with all the decorations on it. The only problem was it was a brand new tree and all the lights should have worked.

So today after work I headed to Hobby Lobby. It was half the nightmare that putting and taking down the tree was. The were nice, but it was just a pain to get the old tree back into the store and the new one out to the car especially when the nice man helping you is 80 years old and can hardly lift a box of ornaments let alone a tree in a box.

Last night after we finished eating dinner we were on our second mission of putting up the tree. We started at 6:00 and finished at 11:30. At least it is done, but it wasn't fun!!!

This was my first tree after all the fluffing and ready for decorations.

This is all my decorations all over the place after they had been on the tree and then taken off.

These are all my ornaments that were on the tree and then taken off and put in my favorite chair. This is my second tree finished a day later.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Sorry about the tree drama. However, it looks beautiful!! Hey, your tree looks just like mine. :) I'll send you the picture.

Abby said...

Hey at least you know how hard it will be to take it down and store it!! I hope that you have run into all of your tree problems for the year!! Love the tree. You both picked well!!