Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July

We had a wonderful 4th of July weekend. Jaime had business in Dallas on Thursday so I went with him and we stayed the weekend. We have some great friends that live in Dallas and there is baseball in Dallas. Two reasons why spending the 4th of July was perfect.

It all started when Jaime asked me about going to Dallas for the 4th. I told him it all depended on the hotel and baseball. We are trying to take a "big" trip at the end of the summer so I wanted the Dallas trip to be "cheap." Jaime took it to heart. He called me one day last week and told me he found us a hotel room for $79. I told him there was no way I was staying in any hotel that cost $79 a night. You can't even stay at the Holiday Inn Express for $79. I know I said cheap, but I have limits. Jaime informed me that the $79 room was at the Fairmont. I told him he was smoking crack. I know the Fairmont is usually $250 a night. It wasn't over the 4th. They were having some kind of crazy special and we were all over that crazy special.

Thursday night we headed out to Allen to see our friends. First we stopped by my college roommates house. Becky and I were roommates our freshman year at Tech. We were so lucky! We got matched by the University to be roommates and she has ended up being one of my best friends. Good job Texas Tech on the roommate matching.

We only got to stay a little while, but it was like old times. We had time to catch up and start planning a girls weekend. Hopefully I will get to see her again soon. I miss her so much!


Friday we went back out to Allen to see Jaime's college buddies. Jaime has two really great friends that live in the Dallas area that he played basketball with at Lamar. I love these guys and their wives. My stomach hurts after being around them because of all the laughing. The other funny part about BJ and Jetter is how tall they are. You think Jaime is tall at 6'8, well Jetter is 6'10 and BJ is 7' and I am not kidding. Those two guys make Jaime look normal.

BJ is married to Jamie and they have two adorable kids G and R. So BJ is 7' and Jamie is 5' and the kids are going to be tall like their dad. G is 5 years old and will be in kindergarten next year, but he looks like he is about 7 years old.

BJ and Jaime took us to meet Jetter and his wife Kathy at La Hacienda Ranch for lunch. Really good food!!! We had tons of looks as we were walking in. It is odd to see a 6'8 guy, 6'10 guy and a 7' guy walk into eat unless they are part of a basketball team. All three of them have to duck down to make it through the door. There were these teenage boys who could not take their eyes off of us.

Jaime and R, she fell in love with Jaime.

G who is super funny!

BJ and Jamie, BJ is sitting and Jamie is standing and they are the same height. Too funny!

Jaime, Jetter and BJ lined up shortest to tallest.

After a quick afternoon nap we headed to the Rangers vs. TB Rays game. Basically all you need to know about the game was the Rangers won, the hot dogs were delicious, we had great seats and it was HOT, HOT, HOT! It was fun but, we left in the 8th inning. It got hotter once the sun went down because the breeze went away and I couldn't take the heat any longer. Look how we are both glowing with sweat!


Saturday we headed back out to Allen for lunch and bowling. BJ and Jamie took us to lunch at Babe's in Frisco. I was so sick after the meal because I kept eating and eating. The food was so good that I couldn't stop. It is family style dinning of homemade biscuits, sweet corn, the creamiest mashed potatoes, green beans and your choice of chicken. You can have chicken fried chicken, chicken fingers, chicken fried steak, roasted chicken or fried catfish. We choose the chicken fried steak. I can't even begin to tell you how good it was.

After all the eating we headed to "Main Event" for some air conditioned bowling. We met Jetter and Kathy there. We played boys against girls and I was no good. I was hopeful that all my practice on the Wii would be useful, but it wasn't. I never broke 100, but it was still super fun and air conditioned.

Jaime, BJ and R

Jaime and G

After all the bowling fun we headed to the Rangers game again. We had amazing seats for the Saturday game. We sat one section off of home plate, 4 rows up. The game was really exciting with lots of hits and runs. The Rangers won again and it was HOT again.

I am pretty sure this lady has been to every game since 1942 and is the Rangers biggest fan.

Kinsler is my favorite player for the Rangers because he wears his pants like a real baseball player and not dragging the ground, he is cute and he can hit the ball.

The Rangers put on a great firework show after the game. All the players and their families came out to watch the show. It was a very impressive show and the perfect way to end the day.

We had a wonderful time seeing great friends and some great baseball. It was the perfect way to celebrate the 4th of July. Hope you and your family had a wonderful 4th and enjoyed some air conditioning. Happy Birthday America!!!

5 comments:

courtney said...

how fun! looks like y'all had a great time!

i had forgotten that you were friends with becky (which is how i think i originally found your blog). we're good friends with becky and louis, too. miss living near them!

Abby said...

I am so sad you went to all of my favorite places. We use to live 4 minutes from the ballpark. We watched the fireworks there every single year that we lived in Arlington. One year we even went with Ann and Jeff.

I am absolutely positive we live even closer than 2 hours 45 minutes. I will ask Brian how long it took us to get there the last time we went. It felt more like 2 hours but it might have been 2 and a half.

Caroline said...

Looks like so much fun. Maybe we can join you there next year.

And yes, we met Abby and Brian there the summer Abby was pregnant with E. Maybe we can recruit them for our trip next year. Like how I'm making all these plans a year in advance?

Kara said...

Sounds like fun! I will ignore the fact that you were right near me and didn't stop to say hello! Of course, considering we've never met in person, that is a good excuse!

Patti said...

I agree with you on the Kinsler thing. That is one of the reasons Pence is my favorite Astros player.