Monday, April 20, 2009

Braiding

I have to dedicate this post to Abby.  It was her idea that I blog about braiding and I don't have anything else to talk about so it works out perfectly.

I learned to braid hair when I was in elementary.  It is kind of a long story so stick with me.  

My dad would do my hair in the mornings before he took me to daycare.  I don't remember having any problems with his hair fixing skills.  He may have other memories of the situation.  When I got to elementary my mom started doing my hair.  I did have a problem with her hair fixing skills.  I love my mom to death, but we have a very differing opinion on hair styles.  I would show you pictures, but I don't have any.  I purposefully left those pictures at my moms house so they would not haunt me.

Anyways, after a few years of her fixing my hair I had to figure out how to do my own hair.  Neither my mom nor I enjoyed her fixing my hair.  Solution, I learned to french braid hair.  Heather lived with Aunt Anita and Uncle Darrel her senior year of high school.  She knew how to french braid her and taught me.  She taught me how to braid on a barbie.  I practiced all the time.  After school almost everyday I would sit in Grandma's living room and practice braiding on the same barbie.  I got really good and started practicing on myself.

I got where I could do my hair and it look cute.  One day I cut my hair and didn't think about not being able to braid it because of the length.  That is when I learned to do two braids.  It took me awhile to perfect it, but I did.

By high school I was really good.  I would braid my hair for all my basketball games.  Soon I started braiding all of my teammates hair.  I would get to the gym hours early to braid every ones hair.  I was probably braiding somewhere around 6 or 7 peoples hair times to braids.  You do the math.  

After high school my braiding stopped.  It wasn't the cool way to wear your hair in college.  It also makes me look like I am about 12 when I braid my own hair.  In college all I was trying to do was look older so I stopped braiding my hair.

Finally, Caroline came along and her hair grew out to a point where I could braid it.  I love doing it and I know Ann loves it, but I am not sure about Caroline.  She thinks it takes too long.  I think she likes the way it looks once it is done, but could care less about me taking the time to do it.  

The only way it really works for me to do Caroline's hair is to put her in front of the T.V.  I need her to be very still for about 30 minutes.  The T.V. does that for us.  When I braided her hair for the wedding in Houston, I didn't think either of us was going to make it.  We didn't have T.V. and both of us were ready to cry half way through.  We made it and her hair looked great.

I have braided my own hair a few times in the past year.  I cut it really short back in the fall and it didn't really go in a ponytail.  I braided my hair for workout.  Jaime didn't like it.  Like I said it makes me look like I am 12 and he still looks 34.  You can imagine what we look like together.  Needless to say I quit braiding my hair.  It looks better on Caroline anyways.

Thanks Abby for the suggestion.  Hope you enjoyed the story.  I am sure you were on the edge of your seat waiting to hear.  I will try to get Ann to email me a picture of my terrible hair do to post on here for all to see.


3 comments:

Abby said...

I loved it!! I am still ever so proud of your skill!! After all the years of basketball braiding you really should be declared a braiding master. I will be coming down to learn from the master.

Then Emery and I can braid all of her dolls hair until I perfect the people hair thing!!

Caroline said...

I love your skills! Lucky for you don't live in town- I would be calling you over every couple of days.

Hildebrand Family said...

I have never EVER seen it done so perfectly!! AMAZING!!!! Loved seeing you two days in a row! We need to see more of yall!! xox