Monday, April 6, 2009

Greetings from D.C.

Hello from Washington D.C.!  We are having a fabulous time, but I am happy we are headed home today.  I always appreciate Texas when we are out of state for a few days.  People just aren't as nice as they are in Texas.  I miss nice Texans.  I also miss my bed.

We flew into Baltimore on Friday on Southwest.  Just to let you know Southwest is back in my good graces.  They sent us a check for the purse they seemed to have taken.  Thank you Southwest.  Anyways, upon arriving we headed to the Rusty Scupper.  It is a seafood restaurant on the Bay.  It was amazing.  The view was great and the food was even better.  It was so good that all of us basically rolled to the car for the drive to D.C.

We arrived at our hotel, The Willard Intercontinental.  It is a very old and historic hotel.  Ever president since the mid 1800's has stayed here.  The "Battle Hymn of the Republic" was composed here and Martin Luther King, Jr wrote his "I Have a Dream" speech here.  We hung out downstairs to people watch and spotted Newt Giengrich.  We didn't take a picture so you will just have to believe me.

Saturday morning we got up early to head to the Cherry Blossom Parade.  I wasn't very excited because we had to get up early and I am not much for parades.  When I was little they were okay because you got candy.  These days it is not even worth the candy and just for your information there was no candy at this parade.

The other problem with the parade was the wind was blowing about 50mph.  I am not even kidding.  It felt like we were in Lubbock.  I thought the only place the wind blew like that was Lubbock and Chicago.  It made it really cold and dusty.  It was not much fun.  The wind also caused all the big floats to back out of the parade.  I lasted about an hour and then high tailed it out of there.

The rest of the day we spent looking at the Cherry Blossoms.  There are supposedly two thousand Cherry Blossoms trees in D.C.  I think we saw all of them.  We walked miles and miles.  The Cherry Blossoms are really pretty and like nothing I have ever seen.  Only problem was there were about 100,000 people in town for the Cherry Blossom Festival.  That is way too many people for me.  It was a complete mad house.  There were times where we were standing still on the side walk because there were so many people that you couldn't move.  Have I mentioned that I don't like crowds?  I loved seeing all the trees in bloom, but I could have done without the people.

Overall, we have still had a great time.  I will finish blogging about our trip tomorrow.  Enjoy the pictures for now.


2 comments:

courtney said...

great pictures! i especially love the last one of washington monument with the cherry blossoms!

if it makes any difference, the wind was just as bad in lubbock this weekend (of course!), but there was nothing pretty to look at. just brown-ness.....

Caroline said...

Great pictures. It looks so pretty. I'm glad you got to wear your wrap again. Sorry about the wind. Like Courtney said, it was bad here too.