Monday, August 18, 2008

The Foundry

Well, The Foundry has now been open for a month. It is like marriage, some days it feels like a month and other days it feels like just yesterday. Overall it has been really good and a great learning experience.

Like any business we have our good days and bad days. Last Monday we were super busy and I never sat down. This morning it has been slow and I have spent most of the morning on the computer. I have really enjoyed being able to talk with the customers and getting some stuff done this morning while watching it rain outside. You just never know what to expect.

We have some regular customers. We don't really have a regular that comes in every morning, but hopefully soon someone will find us and won't be able to live without us every morning. We have some amazing people that do come in and everyone has been very welcoming. You never know what the reaction will be when you tell someone that you are owned by a church. Everyone has been wonderful about it and more receptive to it once they know. I think the coolest thing so far is one of our new volunteers. He had a stroke back in July and lost his short term memory. Before that he was in a severe depression and did not leave the house. He had been praying for something to come along. It happened! He comes in everyday at 10am to volunteer. He helps us keep the place clean and the dishes washed. He is amazing. It is so wonderful how it all worked out. He can come in and help us out and we give him a place to go to get out of the house. God is truly amazing!!!

This place has taught me some wonderful things. Most of all it has showed me how much my husband really loves me. I knew he did, but it just reaffirmed me how much. I have become a little bit more patient. Not a lot, but a little and that is all that I could ask for. I have one volunteer that really test my patients and in a way I appreciate that. I have grown because of him. I know I could be more patient and I think he is helping me with that. I have also learned things about the business. I am better now about knowing what we need and when I need to order things.

I really do love this place and all that it has done for me. I know God is working on me through this place and I couldn't be happier. I just hope I am doing as much for this place and God's work as it is doing for me.

Come see us and have some coffee sometime if you are around.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I'm so proud of you! It is quite an accomplishment to get a business up and running. Glad everything is going well.