Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sunday Night

On Sunday nights I try to be in bed by 9:30. I have to get up at 4:30am on Monday to go to the coffee shop so if I am not in bed by 9:30, Monday morning is not fun.

I did really good on Sunday. I was in bed by 9:30, but once I was in bed I couldn't get comfortable. We had the T.V. on, but I really wasn't watching it. After laying in bed for an hour I decided it was pointless. I obviously was not tired, but of course Jaime was snoring next to me. The Olympics were on and swimming was up next. I figured I might as well put my glasses back on and watch. I didn't have anything else better to do, like sleep.

A woman's race was first and all I really remember was there was drama. Something about two of the swimmers dating the same guy. It's not only the Olympics, but a soap opera as well. Anyway, the boys were up next. Oh how I love the boys. The French had been talking smack and were favored to win the gold. If the Americans did not win the race than Michael Phelps would not get his 8 gold medals.

With all the drama I was enthralled and for good reason. I am not going to go into all the details of the race. If you missed it, you need to watch it. It is being called the best relay race of all time and I agree. Spoiler alert, the USA won the gold. It was amazing. I thought I was doing good about being quite. I didn't say anything. I was just jumping up and down and using my golf clap. Maybe not, Jaime woke up. "What's going on?" I told him he must put his glasses on and watch this. We rewound the T.V. so he could see the whole thing. He too was amazed.

So after all the excitement and us re-watching the race a few times it was 11:30. Way past my bed time. I figured it would be okay and I could make it through the day at the coffee shop. That was until the smoke detector started beeping at 11:50 because the battery was low. It woke me from a perfectly good sleep, but not my husband. I woke him up and it beeped just as I did. I told him to fix it.

I don't want you to think I am not capable of changing the battery in the smoke detector. I would if I could. We have 10 foot ceilings in our bedroom. Even if I get the ladder and stand on the top step I can't reach it, I have tried. When I asked him to fix it he just looked at me and rolled over. I was so mad, I just got up and moved to the other bedroom.

I could still hear it in the other bedroom, but not as bad. I of course sleep really bad in the other bed. I think I woke up every 30 minutes to beeping. Finally at 3:50 Jaime comes to the bedroom and ask me why I moved. I inform him it is because of the stupid smoke detector. He tells me I should have asked him to fix it and he would of. I inform him I did at 11:50 and he wouldn't. It only took 4 hours for the beeping to wake him up. It beeps about every 30 seconds. I had plenty of time to count while trying to get back to sleep.

Lesson 1, Jaime can sleep through 4 hours of a smoke detector beeping. Lesson 2, change your batteries in your smoke detectors before you go to bed tonight.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

That is so funny, but I'm sorry about your lack of sleep. We have the worst luck with our smoke detectors- even with new batteries they will occasionally beep randomly.