Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Reporting or Bust

Jaime is always looking for something new to invest in. He is picky about his investments, but always has his eyes open for something new. He never wants to invest in my purse obsession. We will discuss that at a later time.

Jaime's newest investment is in a local high school sports magazine. This magazine has been a dream of Jaime's Uncle Chuck for a long time and Jaime decided to help out along with a few other people. Chuck and his business partner have been working really hard the past few months getting the magazine ready to go, as the first issue will hit the stands in September. They have been getting articles, pictures and advertisements ready. The September issue goes to print on Friday.

I got a call from Uncle Chuck on Monday wanting to know if I would write two articles for them, of course for free. What is family for besides free labor? Now, I know I have a journalism degree, not that you could tell that from my punctuation or grammar here. The only reason I got a journalism degree was because it required the least amount of math and science compared to any other degree. Math and science don't really understand me so they never did well with me.

While in college I did write for the school newspaper. I don't really remember how I got involved in that, but I remember it was not by choice. Maybe it was a requirement of some sort. I reported on basketball, which was the good news. If I had to write about something at least it was a sport.

Here I am again writing an article, but this time for a magazine. At least it is for another sport, football. My articles are due by Friday and I have done nothing but complain to get ready. I need to do some research on these two football programs. Not only do I currently not know anything about the football programs, I have never even heard of the two schools. That's nice!

It has been 5 years since I wrote an article for any type of publication. I am a little worried, actually more than worried. Hopefully it is like riding a bike and it will all come back to me. The good news is my picture and name will be in the magazine. Ugh, not really!!!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Eeks. I didn't know you were writing articles for publication. Good luck- I know they will be great.