Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hot and Cold

Yesterday we had some issues with the electricity. Something happened and the entire neighborhood lost electricity yesterday morning for about 2 hours. No big deal to me, I slept through it. I decided there was no reason to get up because the T.V. and the internet wouldn't work. Jaime was worried about me being home with no electricity when he left for work. It was 28 degrees here yesterday morning and he was concerned I would get cold with no heater. I was concerned because the ceiling fan in the bedroom was off. I was toasty and asked that he open a window. He declined.

There were about 10 trucks in the neighborhood working on the problem all day. There were wires and piping everywhere. About 5:30 last night we got word that we would be losing power again for about an hour.

My great friend Jacqui was sweet enough to bring us dinner yesterday. Dinner is kind of hard around here these days. By 6pm I am done and Jaime has been really busy with work stuff and hasn't had time to cook. It is also hard for him to cook dinner when there is nothing in the refrigerator. Jacqui made chicken enchiladas and beans and mashed potatoes.

I was not very happy with the whole power thing. I had just put Jacqui's dinner in the oven and needed 30 minutes for it to be ready. The power ended up not going off for another 20 minutes. We ended up eating semi-warm chicken enchiladas by candlelight. The beans and mashed potatoes were still cold. Our dinner was delicious, but I have no idea what it looked like because I couldn't see a thing. I am pretty sure that is the first time we have ever had a candlelight dinner. Thanks Jacqui for driving all the way out here and bringing us the best dinner we have had in awhile. I need that recipe for sure!

I never realized how dark it is with NO LIGHTS AT ALL. People, it is dark in case you were wondering. Lara next door saved us. It started getting a little cold in here and was super dark. Lara had some extra wood for us. Jaime started us a fire and the electricity was back on with in 30 minutes.

I forgot how nice a fire in the fireplace can be. It was nice to have all the Christmas lights on and a fire going. I could have handled the air conditioning being on as well. It was a little toasty with the fire, but Jaime told me I couldn't turn the air conditioner on. Poor thing has been walking around the house with a jacket on for the past week. He is freezing and I am sweating.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Love the picture of your fireplace. Maybe I should put a fire in mine for the first time ever! Glad someone is helping you with meals. I hope you've been resting.

Jacqui said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry you had to eat cold food! :(

That makes me sad. We'll have to try it again sometime with another recipe.